There’s a lot to be said about owning a cat, of which their cute and cuddly nature plays only a small part. While playing with one may be a fantastic way to spend the day, having to clean their little is a lot less awesome. It is a gross, repetitive, smelly, and often tedious task that takes a lot more time than we’re comfortable with. Imagine coming home from a bad work day and instead of a cute cat, you are greeted with the biggest turd you’ve ever seen.
Advancements in technology, however, means that the dream of self-cleaning litter boxes has now been actualized. Most of this new generation also comes with an auto-filtration system that is HEPA rated. But like with all home appliances, picking one of the many available options is as difficult as ever. Tadesite has reviewed ten options for you, of the top-best self-cleaning litter boxes available in 2020.
Best Self Cleaning Litter Box 2020
1. Litter Robot III Open Air with Connect
The best-selling point of Robot III is that it is the only auto-cleaning litter box with phone notification capability. It is highly compatible with most litter types excluding newspaper/wood-based, non-absorbent, and absorbent types. Robot III is fully automated and cleans out itself by rotating its sphere-shaped chamber. There is an ultra-sensitive weight sensor, in addition to other technologies to keep your cat safe.
It features an impressive litter storage capability and recycles unused litter while cleaning to maintain an efficient operation. Power is supplied to this device by a plug-in
- Quiet operation
- Responsive customer service
- Can be monitored with an App
- Low litter usage and large storage
- Free shipping
- Safe use
- Fully-automated operation
- Heavy, bulky, and large
- Lacks compatibility with some litter types.
- Not ideal for cats under five-pounds in weight
2. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
ScoopFree from PetSafe is designed with odour control and an adjustable scoop system that makes it an ideal choice. The personalized crystal litter absorbs most odour without tracking and self-cleans for two-weeks uninterrupted. There is also a privacy hood for this lightweight cleaning solution to litter boxes.
- Best moisture and odour control
- Minimal required maintenance
- Fully automated design
- Sensors are accurate and effective
- Efficient runs
- Cheap and lightweight
- Low tracking
- Crystal litter may require some adjustments
- High running cost
3. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This automated litter box from Omega Paw not only looks good but is also designed to be odour-proof. Its unique cleaning solution scoops up waste to deposit on the pullout tray which can then be easily removed. Because it is not fully automated, it has a much-running cost, is lighter, and priced even lower. Omega Paw also performs superbly at odour trapping which makes it in-house applicable.
- Just 6.5-pounds in weight
- One-year warranty
- Covered with effective odour control
- Cheap with easy assembly
- Intuitive operation
- Versatile application with any clumping litter
- Not actually automated
- Large footprint
4. CatGenie Self-Washing Cat Box
Much like the name indicates, this Cat Box does everything itself. It packs together waste, flushes it away, washes, and even drying itself. CatGenie includes innovative, all-new washable granules that require no changing and are dust-free. It requires access to drainage and cold water since it acts like a real toilet. CatGenie has an overall excellent value though which makes it a popular litter choice.
- Fully automated
- No additional purchase
- Reusable litter granules
- 100% dust-free operation
- Adaptable for multiple cats
- Expensive and heavy
- Not the best at absorbing odour
- Requires drainage and cold water
5. PetSafe Simply Clean Automatic Litter Box
There is a conveyor system with a slow-moving bowl that transport the litter waste into a waste bin. Its super-slow operation removes all need for sensors and timers which reduces both its weight and size. PetSafe Simply is not ideal for larger cats, but I easily operated and features a one-year warranty.
- Lightweight and cheap
- Usable with recycled bags
- Requires less clumping
- Fully automated
- Two-weeks self-cleaning operation
- Low weight limit at 15-pounds
- No cover for odour control
- Short power cord
6. Modkat Litter Box Kit
One advantage Modkat has over most other litter box choices is its top-entry design. This feature together with the high-riding walls prevents litter tracking and help trap odour. There is also a reusable liner packaged with it to keep the entire set-up odour free.
- Weighs just 5.29-pounds
- Unique top-entry
- Lon-lasting liners
- High walls for trapping nasty smells
- Ultra-modern look
- Cheap option
- Not actually a self-cleaning choice
- Price does not represent the overall value
- Requires manual operation
7. LitterMaid Single Cat Litter Box
Like with all things designed without consideration for multiple occupants, LitterMaid weighs just 13-pounds. A 20-minute auto-waste removal time, minimal maintenance, and high walls make this box an excellent first choice.
The design is unique and its hard-clumping nature makes it one of the most adaptable to litter box type.
- No tracking with high-walls
- Versatile use
- Low maintenance
- An automated operation for up to seven days
- Brilliant odour control
- Noisy operation
- Not for multiple cats
8. Pet Zone SmartScoop Basic Green Self-Scooping Cat Litter Box
As the name suggests, while SmartScoop from Pet Zone may be automated, it is only for waste scooping operations. The scooping mechanism is an entertaining watch despite its powerful form and quiet nature.
- Easy assembly
- Compatible with most clumping litters
- No-touch waste bag
- Quiet operation and cheap
- Lacks privacy covers
- Not the best automation
9. Nature’s Miracle Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Fully automatic cleaning per cycle
- One-year warranty
- Versatile and adaptable with most litter types
- Antibacterial odour control receptacles
- Odour absorbing carbon filters
- Easy cleaning, operation, and maintenance
- Large capacity
- Lightweight at 12.7-pounds
- Lacks a privacy hood
- Expensive choice
10. Catit Design SmartSift Cat Pan
A common theme with litter boxes of Catit’s price range is a lack of full-on automation. Despite some required manual handling though, it has a carbon filter to go with its super-simple design. The swinging doors are removable, which makes it convenient to use, and it is big enough for multiple cats.
- Great price
- Slight automation
- Compatible with most clumping litter
- Janky lever
- Some manual operation still needed