In the world today, a car is more of a necessity than a luxury as it is very important for moving from one location to another in good time. Car cameras are not particularly new on the scene, as they have become increasingly utilized in different automobiles worldwide. Since May 2018, car owners especially drivers of passenger vehicles have been asked to install backup cameras for safety and security reasons.
Since the advent of the law, the market has seen a massive influx of various options for backup cameras, and we have come to help you navigate this market and select the best backup cameras for your car
1. Chuanganzhuo Backup Camera
This camera comes in a kit containing a monitor and power cables. Its TFT LCF monitor is 4.3 inches in size and it can manage a resolution up to 480×272 pixels. Its monitor can support a display ratio of 4:3 or 16:9 and is rated 12V.
The camera kit comes with two video signal input options AV1 and AV2, with a signal format in NTSC. The kit is best attached to the number plates for optimal reversing view, the camera is waterproof and has infrared light capabilities, helping you see in the dark.
• Camera is adjustable.
• IP67 waterproof
• Fitted with an LCD monitor and has night vision available
• The waterproofing has a limit to it
• Might vision can be grainy and dark, reducing visibility.
2. Esky License Plate Backup Camera
This camera is to be fastened to a heavy-duty license plate, the plates are chrome-plated to reduce the risk of corroding and also give it a stylish look. It is equipped with a macro lens with a 170-degree viewing angle. This camera is waterproof and possesses 8 infrared LED lights to enhance night vision.
This camera also uses NTSC signals, which it can render at a resolution of 510×496 pixels. Its power output is 12V and it consumes 60mA of power.
• Adjustable camera
• IP67 waterproof camera
• Color accuracy is high
• Produces great images in low light
• Image resolution is not good enough
• Is not popular for its ease of installation, as a mechanic may be needed to fix it.
• Comes on only when the vehicle is in reverse
3. eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car Rearview reversing backup camera
This camera provides a 149-degree viewing angle as it comes with adjustable lens. The camera is compatible with 12V to 24V power outlets with a wire made out of high purity copper.
The camera is waterproof, as it has a LED lighting system which automatically turns on at night. It can be attached to the top of the license plate frame, but may require the expertise of a car mechanic to fix properly.
• IP69 waterproof
• LED night lights
• Impressive viewing angle
• 2-year warranty
• Not easy to install by a “layman”, and may require professional help to set up
• May partly conceal some license plates
4. LeeKooLuu Backup Camera and Monitor Kit
This camera includes a rearview camera with a video monitor installed on the dashboard. The monitor has a 4.3in LCD display, and a monitor resolution of 480×272. The rearview camera can support resolutions up to 600 pixels.
The video monitor is compatible with all signal formats and is rated 9V to 35V, the camera is rated 9V to 14V. The camera is waterproof, and the entire package comes with 2 power cables with an additional video cable.
• LED night lights in camera
• Monitor can support two cameras
• Waterproof camera
• Monitor is dustproof
• Entire set up is affordable
• Camera is not adjustable
• It is difficult to set up and install.
5. AUTO-VOX M1W Wireless Backup Camera Kit
One of the first on this list, this backup camera has a wireless transmitter, a 4.3-inch LCD screen and a reversing camera attached to a mount. The camera connects with the monitor through a transmitter, as this transmitter is IP67 waterproof and should be installed near the reversing light.
The camera has 6 LED lights each possessing 26 lumens and has the ability to deliver a high-resolution image within a 100m distance. The camera is IP68 waterproof and has a high-definition image processor in it.
Price: $ 80.01
• Wireless capabilities
• Large scope of view from the camera
• Both camera and transmitter are waterproof
• Good low-light vision
• Wireless transmission is subject to break in network transmission or connectivity
• Expensive kit
6. NOAUKA Waterproof IP68 Night Vision 170 degree Car Rear view
This backup camera contains an HD color image sensor and can deliver resolutions hitting 720×540 pixels. This camera needs an NTSC signal to function. The rearview camera comes with a 170-degree viewing angle and also possesses a built-in night sensor.
This camera is shockproof and can be used in various weather conditions. They also possess adjustable scales that the users can adjust to their satisfaction.
• Large angle of view
• Super affordable
• Small and easy to mount in most spaces
• Waterproof and shockproof
• Only comes with a camera and no other accessories
7. LeeKooLuu Reverse/Rear View Camera and Mirror Monitor Kit
Kit comes with two 8-inch power cables, a 4.3-inch mirror monitor, a 20 feet video cable and an all-important user manual. The monitor supports a resolution 480×272 pixels and the camera supports a 420×420 pixels’ resolution.
The monitor can support different signal formats (including PAK and NTSC). The camera possesses a PC7070 image sensor with a distance reference marking display and is IP68 waterproof.
• Excellent resolution
• Very pocket-friendly
• The kit can be powered by a single power source
• Poses difficulty with adjusting the angle
8. Coolwoo Car Backup Camera
The product is fitted with a backup camera and power cables for installation. The backup camera has panoramic view with an angle of 175-degree. The camera is IP68 waterproof, with built-in distance scales.
The camera is compatible with various monitor types and supports night vision, with a resolution of 648×488 pixels.
• Easy to install
• Weather resistant camera
• High resolution
• Wide angle view may distort sense of distance between vehicles, especially in smaller cars
9. iStrong Backup Camera and Monitor Kit
Kit comes with a monitor and a license plate backup camera. The monitor (an LCD monitor) has a 4.3-inch screen and can be mounted on the dashboard. The monitor supports a resolution of 480×272 pixels and is compatible with all signal formats.
The backup cameras support a resolution of 648×488, is IP67 waterproof and needs an NYSC signal to operate.
• Very reasonable option when you are on a budget
• Monitor supports two video inputs
• Installing may require a specialist
10. TOPTIERPRO Upgraded Mini Backup Camera
This camera is multifunctional and can be installed on the front or side. It is equipped with a lens that can withstand extreme temperatures and is IP67 waterproof. The camera comes with a 24-month warranty and is really versatile, as you can convert it to a home surveillance camera.
• Relatively cheap and affordable
• Clear images
• Weather resistant kit
• Multifunctional camera
• Installation may take a while as it requires drilling, hence, is best carried out by a specialist